Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Feb 2006 06:01:57 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Camping tips and tricks

::: :::I grew up where Large Body Of Water was at the east (Chicago). I now :::live where Large Body of Water is at the West (Sandy Eggo). I gave up :::on "right" and "left" long ago, and settled on "driver side" or :::"passenger side".

Oh, I have that problem with east and west! I grew up in NYC, so the large water was always east. Send me to Europe and I'm completely muddled! Ditto in California - though more so in Europe.

I also have two lefts and two rights - as in, "turn left here" "Left???" "Oh, I mean the other left." I used to write from right to left when I was a little - all my great works of kid art say "Yoj, age 4" on them instead of "Joy, age 4"

::: :::>> The RIGHT side of your back seat? On my van that pesky dark hole :::>> is on the left! Or do you guys do your directions as if you were :::>> driving backwards? :::>>

::: :::*What* hole? The right side of our back seat is against the side of :::the van, and there's no hole. The left side is against the closet, :::and there's no hole. There's only the space under the back seat where :::the back-seat seat belts get lost into. ::: :::Is there some storage space I'm not aware of? :-)

No, no secret storage space, other than the secret one Loren has already revealed.

When you are sitting in the back seat of your westy, at least your 89 westy, on the left side of the seat there is a narrow crack - maybe half an inch wide - between the edge of the cushion and the wall of the cabinet in which the water tank is stored. It's not a hole, it runs the front-to-back width (or is it depth?) of the cushion. And things drop down there. Especially if they've been sitting on the table above the cabinets, and you accidentally shove them. Or they roll. Or whatever. It's too narrow to slide your hand down and retrieve the things, which is why it's so frustrating and the long skinny tool is needed!

But I really don't know why guys keep referring to it as the crack on the right! I never lose anything on the right side, didn't even know there might be a crack there.

:::BTW, we stuff our extra plastic grocery-shopping bags into one of the :::compartments on the Duluth Trading Company organizer that hangs on the :::back of the passenger seat.

Well probably no one cares, but I keep mine in a bag hanging just behind the driver's seat, that also contains potholders and dish soap. Which is also the bag I use if I'm carrying dirty dishes to a good big sink with hot water at a campground or something.

Joy