Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:14:22 -0500
From:         Peter J Buehler <pbuehler@MIT.EDU>
Subject:      '89 Wolfsburg edition for sale . . . I think.

I've been lurking on this list of-and-on for quite a while, thinking all the time, "Yeah, I've had that problem too" in response to at least one posting a day. This, of course, engenders strong feelings of camaraderie. And I can understand how one can come to love these 4-wheeled transport appliances--many of us are just suckers for unrequitted love. But, damn it, I'm getting old (still working at 67 because I have two teen-age boys to send to college) and the peccadilloes of my Vanagon are becoming more and more aggravating the older I get. Don't get me wrong--I love my Vanagon. I've had a couple of wonderful trips to Newfoundland over the last two summers, putting 4,000 miles on it each time with no major problems. It's great for camping and it's beautiful todrive--I especially love the cruise control--but I don't like the negotiations

I have to go through with it on cold mornings just to get the damned electric door locks to relinquish their hold. And that's just to get inside where the serious negotiations begin. I could continue in this vein for hours but won't; you all know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it's a vanagon and therefore not something that I could, with good conscience,palm off on an unsuspecting member of the general public (and I'm leaving e-bay out of the equation for now). So here goes:

For Sale--

1 1989 VW Vanagon, White, Wolfsburg Edition in pretty good shape.

Automatic transmission.

Passed Mass. inspection (full emissions testing, etc.) two months ago.

Complete new exhaust system two years ago.

136,000 miles.

Very little rust and that only on the steps inside the front doors and only skin deep.

Doesn't seem to be burning oil, but leaks precious bodily fluids from every pore. (Of course! It's a Vanagon.)

Good tires and battery (half their useful lives left?).

Seem to have all the equipment that it came with except the cap for the rear window washer bottle and a cover thingy for the interior fluorescent light (cosmetic only; the light still works).

Even still have the two plastic trays that go behind the front seats. And a great JVC am/fm CD player with a remote so's you can control it whilst snug in the bunk. And I'll throw in the Bentley manual to boot.

This van is a prime candidate for restoration to mint condition because all of the parts are still there and it's just in need of TLC and tweaking--if you have the time, inclination and patience. (I don't.)

Pictures? What, you don't know what a (white) vanagon looks like? I can probably find some pictures if you want or just go out and take some new ones when the blizzard subsides.

It's located in Boston and I can probably deliver it anywhere in New England and western New York.

Price? (I thought you'd never ask.) I dunno. Certainly not more than $3,000 but I'd be loathe to take anything under $2,000.

If you are interested, please write me at pjbuehler@gmail.com. DO NOT write to the Vanagon list unless you want to flame me and feel the need to entertain a larger audience with your not inconsiderable sagacity and wit.

P.J. Buehler

P.S. What I don't like about it most is that it leaks ATF (tranny fluid). Not a great problem but a major nuisance, since it requires keeping an eye on. Spent $1,200 trying to get that fixed, but to no noticeable effect.