Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:31:39 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: volt/ohm meters
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

I've got an analog meter that is still in the box - 36 years old - looks and works like new. Have no intention of replacing it. Don't own a digital, but thee have been a few times that I wish I did, but I managed.

Latest pressure for me to get a digital meter is something I'm working on. I'm a potter, and I'm gearing up a small gas-fired kiln. Most kilns run with an oxidation state inside - ie, plenty of oxygen for complete combustion. My objective is to operate the kiln with an internal atmosphere that is in a reduction state - that is, there is insufficient oxygen present in the internal atmosphere of the kiln for full combustion of the gas going into the kiln. This will force the flame to seek oxygen from other sources - from the clay in the pots, from the glazes on the clay pots. This results in some extraordinary colors. One of the big bugaboos in achieving this is how to monitor - and control - the internal atmosphere to keep it in reduction. Control of the atmosphere is by way of fuel and air adjustments done manually. But one needs to be able to tell what the atmosphere actually is after adjustments. There are commercial instruments for monitoring this but they are quit expensive - involving a digital meter, a platinum tip probe encapsulating a zirconium crystal. - and costing $600 and up. And the whole shebang - except for the meter - gets stuck through the sidewall of the kiln so the tip is inside. Well, as it turns out, the tip of the Vanagon O2 sensor(as are others) is made the same way - and by sticking that sensor through the thin exhaust stack of the kiln just outside of the exhaust port in the top of the kiln, the O2 sensor can be made to produce a voltage - positive or negative - depending on how much oxygen is present in the exhaust gas - and the voltage can be read on a digital meter and correlated to a temperature chart, AND the amount of negative or positive voltage can be correlated to another chart to give the degree of oxidation or reduction taking place in the kiln.

So, taking the ol' O2 sensor application and putting it somewhere else is going to save me a bundle. Brand new O2 sensor - $40 or less. Decent digital meter - $50 or less, vs the commercial O2 setup for kilns at $600 and up. Big difference.

Will post how it goes.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver