Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:07:04 -0800
From:         Dan Wallace <dwallace51@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: setting the timing on my 1984 1.9 vanagon

Gary,

I've got a '84 GL and I use a timing light and dwell/tach/voltmeter to set rpms and the timing per the Bentley Manual. If you don't have all three, time to get 'em.

For our 1.9's with digijet, Bentley calls for rpms to be 850 + or - 50 and timing to be 5 + or - 1 degree ATDC (After Top Dead Center). Your crank pulley closest to the engine will have two grooves in it 5 degrees apart. The first one is U-shaped, TDC, the second is V-shaped; That's your timing mark. Put a dab of white paint on the timing mark so it'll show up under you toming light. Unplug the two wires going into your Idle Stabilizer, the little green box on the wall to the left of the engine. Plug those two wires together. Hook up your timing light and loosen the 10mm bolt cinching the base of the distributor. Start her up, let her warm up a couple minutes and set your rpms using your tach set and the Idle Adjustment screw on the Throttle Body. Clockwise, faster, counterclockwise, slower. After you've got the idle speed right, use your timing light on the ATDC mark to line it up with the passenger side of the tab with the hole in it sticking out of the engine casing. Get the rpms and the timing balanced, stop the engine, put the plugs back in the Idle Stabilizer, tighten down the distributor and have a beer.

I'm no pro but I've had my GL since 1990, put a long block in it and made a few of cross country trips in Ol' Brown Bess. If I got anything wrong I'm the Gurus will starighten us both out.

If you need any other help, I keep an eye out for you on the list.

Dan

I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together. -- Red Green A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. -- Friedrich Nietzsche