Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:20:18 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: 3rd (center) Brake light for late model Vanagon

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:19:33 -0500 From: vw4x4 <vw4x4@VERIZON.NET> Subject: Re: 3rd (center) Brake light for late model Vanagon

My van has been hit 4 times in the rear. I would like to find a pair of lights that can be mounted in the top sides of the rear window. These would need to work with the brake lights and trun signals. Now this would get some attention.

Any Ideas? joe.

Joe,

No suggestions for lights although there was talk on the list at one stage regarding a rear light that replaced the original VW symbol and lit up with the VW insignia when the brake lights were applied. Wished I'd followed up on those at the time... they sounded very interesting....

Anyway, what I really wanted to add was that as an alternative to adding more lights, you could also take the offensive approach and make or purchase a rear end protection bar to cover your arse...as it were ;-) If someone's gonna rear end you, you may as well inflict maximum damage back on them...! I don't have a website but if you or anyone else is interested in seeing mine (protection bar, not arse) I will send you a pic....just lemme know. You probably wont be able to source an exact replica as mine was manufactured and supplied in Australia but it may give you some ideas for fabricating something of a similar nature. Mine also has the tongue for a tow ball included on the bar which is useful sometimes as well as additional protection for the rear tail light assemblies.

The one I currently have is the second one. The first was identical but was replaced after a coach load of tourists ran into the back of the van while my wife was driving it some years ago. Idiot in front slams on brakes for no obvious reason, my wife brakes hard but stops in time...coach driver travelling too close behind does not. If it wasn't for this protection bar, we would not still have this van today as the resultant damage would have been extensive to the rear end and I doubt, even if the van HAD been repaired, it would have been unlikely for the rear hatch to have ever sealed properly from the weather again. I would have sold it real quick....

But thanks to the rear bar's strength, it absorbed most of the impact and bent onto the rear bumper bar which was also damaged (and subsequently replaced by insurance along with the protector bar). But absolutely no damage was sustained by the bodywork...even though the bumperbar ended up about a cigarette paper's thickness off the paintwork. So that bar was a very worthwhile investment and we still have a pristine van today as a result:-) The impact of the collision was enough for my wife to suffer some whiplash and several days off work so as you can appreciate, it withstood quite an impact...

For me it was a far better pro-active solution to the problem of rear end collisions. A third brake light is no doubt a good thing but I wonder how effective they really are. If someone is gonna miss the two brake lights already on, are they really gonna notice the third one? I have my doubts...

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)