Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Feb 2006 04:14:15 -0500
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tips on making space under Westfalia swivel seat usable?
Comments: To: rpc <populuxe59@yahoo.com>

I have no pictures but this is fairly straight forward and intuitive when you look at the seat bases. On the front of each front seat box is enough space for removal of approximately 2 3/4"by 14" of metal to expose the shelf that's already there but just not accessible. The depth of the cut can be determined by sticking your fingers into the slot above the metal front and feeling the bottom of the shelf behind it. Once you've approximated this a more exact measurement (measure twice, cut once) can be made with some sort of feeler gauge/tape and then marked on the outside of the metal by pulling back the carpeting. I chose to retain the carpeting to "hide" the new compartment. The width for the opening can be varied, but I chose the widest possible cut to allow for my road atlas, with a little side wall left to allow for the carpet to be Velcroed on the two sides. Feel around, you'll figure it out.

Once marked for depth and width, I used a Dremel-like tool with a metal cutting disc to make the one horizontal and two vertical cuts. The metal is thick and sparks will fly, so take appropriate precautions. Originally I was going to reinstall the cut out material with a bottom hinge to serves as a door. But the stiffness of the carpet concealed the space nicely, two small vertical cuts in the carpet and a little VelcroŽ holds it place. I don't have to futz around with a latch when trying to open the door while seated. A layer of non-skid tray liner serves nicely to keep things from sliding forward even in panic stops. The space is room enough for lots of small items like binoculars, CD/DVD player, music storage, cameras, etc.; freeing up space in the glove box and being much more concealed. If you didn't know it's there you would never see it. This worked on my '87 Westy and I have plans to do the same on my '89. HTH. I got this idea from Kai Fregmon(sp) one of the famed Tierra del Fuego tripsters. BTW: He has a second LP tank installed (which I will do on Someday Isle) and also has installed a removable AC tunnel in his Westy and a clothes net on his rear hatch and... and... and. -- Stephen Chillicothe OH