Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:53:50 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@GWTC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Meineke Brake Job

I've had bad experiences with Meineke and Midas. Last summer, after moving all my stuff out of my house into the garage in preparation for renting it, I started my trip by backing my 82 Honda out of the driveway. The car had lots of stuff in it and I have a two inch lip between dirt and sidewalk. I backed the muffler into the lip, which had never happened before, and shoved the muffler back 8" or so. What a way to begin a six month vacation!

it worked, and I got to Bend OR before taking it to Midas. The young guy got the car up on the lift and started trying to sell me a whole new exhaust system, from manifold backwards. I'd had the muffler replaced just a year ago - using Meineke's lifetime replacement guarantee - and I could feel my face get tighter and tighter as he pointed out stuff that needed fixing I knew didn't.

His boss walked up and told him to just do what I asked and then said they'd do it for $45. I agreed. It involved fabricating a two foot piece and clamping to the existing muffler pipe and muffler. I think the boss saw that I was about ready to walk, and he had four guys standing around with four empty bays.

I think I got away fairly on this one because I was going to call the young guy's bluff and the boss saw it. Once the car is up on the rack, they get 90% of people. Their sales strategy is well-developed...

Jeff Olson martin, SD