Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:51:17 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: vw industrial aircooled motors  (was: Re: better blog,
              good vehicle on ice (LVC)
Comments: To: ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>

Guess that kinda dates the Zamboni in Little rock!!!

DM&FS

At 12:26 PM 2/15/2006, ROBERT DONALDS wrote: >Chris and fellow vanagon types > >I still build and sell allot of air and water cooled engines for the >Zambonis mostly propane and some LNG. They did have a single port industrial >engine in the late sixties and the early seventies.The next step was to go >to the in line 4 cylinder rabbit 1.5 and 1.6 then onto the 1.7 and now the >standard replacement engine for all water-cooled VW powered Zambonis is the >hydraulic lifter carbed 1.8 engine >I visited the factory a few years ago and they had a huge machine ready to >ship to the Netherlandsand it was diesel powered. I was told this was for >the outdoor speed skating tracks >the Nissan engine is now the standard power plant unless you have the 80 K >for the electric Ice resurfacer > >I thought about this while driving in my vanagon >Bob Donalds > >----- Original Message ----- >From: <JordanVw@AOL.COM> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:38 AM >Subject: vw industrial aircooled motors (was: Re: better blog, good vehicle >on ice (LVC) > > >>In a message dated 2/15/06 4:43:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, >>jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU writes: >> >> >>>But various people have told me that zambonis actually have VW engines >> >>used to.. not anymore. the aircooled industrial beetle engine was used >>to >>power all kinds of things back in the 50's 60's and early 70's. back in >>the >>60's you could walk in your vw dealer and order a industrial upright >>aircooled >>engine..came strapped to a pallet with its own fuel tank, and pulleys for >>the >>PTO, etc. >>. they were used for pump engines, small machinery, even tractors and >>snowblowers, snow cats, etc.. lots of instances where cold weather made >>liquid >>cooling a problem. >> >>most of today's Zamboni's and the like have industrial japanese >>watercooled >>engines. >> >>chris