Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:18:13 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank fill valve anatomy

Ah, so one could theoretically ignore the purge valve in the transplanted bbq tank valve, since you will be using the 80% level bleed valve on the Westy's tank. My filler doesn't have the internal threads. I think those are the POL threads? And yes, you can just use one of those adapters if you have that fill valve. Another listee confirmed this on a tank that was not on the van. There may be clearance issues in real life though. Years ago, before people started selling these refill adapters, I bought the parts to make my own at an RV supply place. Actually, the guy would only sell me some of the parts, and then I had to go get a fitting or 2 at a plumbing supply store. So instead of getting one of those pre-made squat little adapters, one could make a custom one that would give more room if necessary.

The experience that made me really want to have the ability to hook up a disposable bottle temporarily to my Westy tank was last Easter weekend. I was camping on the shore of SC and ran out of propane. There was no place that could fill a Westy's tank on Easter Weekend for 100 miles or so. I was not camping where there were hookups, and not driving around enough to keep my aux batt charged and run the fridge off that. So no fridge and no stove to cook. Frustrating. That had happened on an earlier trip too. Not quite as frustrating, but still ran out one evening, and watched the fridge warm up all night. The next day I found a place to fill the tank, but it was out of my way, and took some digging to find, and blah, blah, blah, I would have rather been cruising the backroads of WV in my VW with no cares. I would just carry a partially filled disposable tank, having carefully refilled it at home from a big tank, and have it as reserve capacity to tide me over in emergencies.

Oh, and I always wondered why the propane torch worked upside down, now I know thanks to Dennis!

Edward

Doug F wrote: >Also, I know the "inside" of my propane tank "filler" valve is also threaded >and takes the smaller filler nozzle at the propane station. > >Why not set up an adapter from a standard coleman bottle to go directly into >the filler valve? Seem much simpler as a back up. > >Doug

At 08:51 PM 2/13/2006, you wrote: >The purge valve on the portable BBQ tanks have to opened manually with a >screwdriver. No, it is not practical to use the Extend-A Stay kit to >transfer liquid from the disposable tank into the main tank. The outlet >on the disposable tank is deliberately sized so that even upside down >the liquid will quickly become vapor. Note that a propane torch will >usually work even upside down. The extend a stay will also allow >another portable tank to be connected. At some point, considering the >small size of the van you need to ask how much propane you want to >travel with. The onboard tank will usually support the Fridge and >cooking for two weeks or longer. > >Dennis