Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:49:19 -0800
From:         Doug F <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank fill valve anatomy
Comments: To: Tom Buese <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Buese" <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:37 PM Subject: Re: Propane tank fill valve anatomy

> ................. > The experience that made me really want to have the ability to hook up a > >disposable bottle temporarily to my Westy tank was last Easter weekend. I > >was camping on the shore of SC and ran out of propane. There was no place > >that could fill a Westy's tank on Easter Weekend for 100 miles or so. I > >was not camping where there were hookups, and not driving around enough to > >keep my aux batt charged and run the fridge off that. So no fridge and no > >stove to cook. Frustrating. That had happened on an earlier trip > >too. Not quite as frustrating, but still ran out one evening, and watched > >the fridge warm up all night. The next day I found a place to fill the > >tank, but it was out of my way, and took some digging to find, and blah, > >blah, blah, I would have rather been cruising the backroads of WV in my VW > >with no cares. I would just carry a partially filled disposable tank, > >having carefully refilled it at home from a big tank, and have it as > >reserve capacity to tide me over in emergencies. > ................. > > I might have missed this part of the discussion, but I go months w/o using much propane. How long are you using the fuel before you run out on a trip? Before my recent DV trip, I pulled into my propane place & it only took 1.3 gallons after a week at Burning Man, & 3 weekend camping trips after that, w/ one trip including running my 3000 btu catalytic heater for part of a day. Now I will admit I don't use the propane for my fridge, but do use it for cooking & heat. > > Pax, > > Tom

Tom, its been estimated that the fridge alone will only go about 2 weeks or 17 days on the standard westy tank. The other problem is that there is no easy way to know how much is left in the tank. The idea of being able to simply connect a Coleman 1lb bottle to the tank and use for the fridge is huge. 1-2 bottles will go a couple days likely and they can be repurchased at almost any store now a days.

By other RV standards the westy tank which is only 3.5 gallons and you only get 80% of that, I had my valves out recently and took it down totally empty and it only took 2.3 gallons! Compared to RVs with dual 7.5s that aint much, which is also why I recommend GAS heaters for cold!

Doug