Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:26:32 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: PayPal Scam phising/spoofs (NVC)
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

Having used Paypal for the past several years, I've been very happy utilizing their services, following a few of my own instituted rules based on other's (and my own) experience:

1. Any Paypal emails, viable or not are all automatically filtered and shoved into a folder marked (curiously enough) "Paypal".

2. If I've had any activity of late on Paypal buying or selling, I'll pick thru those confirmation emails and shove them to another appropriate folder.

3. The rest of the "fodder" is thrown to the trash. Like Wil Haslup, I log in via their secure server to see if anything is up a couple of times a month. For the past 3 months, I've had no activity initiated by me, so as usual, any emails coming through that time period to now are usually consigned to "file 13". I NEVER click any of those links in these emails, period.

4. Everyone has their own opinion whether an outfit like Paypal asks too much or not enough about personal information. Myself, I have yet to find an area of Paypal I deal with that asks too much information that I am reluctant to give. At least no more than what my bank or credit card company asks of me, which is the usual standard fare. When my biz was in operation or when buying a new car a couple of years ago, the perennial requests from the bank or credit agency for a ton of information are rather the fare that I've been use to and consider it "standard operating procedure" (SOP). I do respect and sympathize with those who feel some questions are too intrusive, but this the world we live in. We all do with or without, base on our valued opinions, right or wrong.

5. Like Wil's suggestion, I have a checking acoount purely dedicated for Paypal use. Very little $$ is kept in the account, usually less than $20 at any one time. When an opportunity to buy comes up, I transfer $$ to that account to accomplish the transaction. When I receive $$ via Paypal, I immediately transfer the funds to another account.

In regards to transferring funds from Paypal to my bank account, I've yet to encounter a "hitch in the get-along". Even though Paypal says (I believe) up to 72 hours or so, I've never had a transfer take take longer than 24 hours and most times it's often less. Yeah, there's usually a fee to do this or that, but after owning and running a biz for over 20 years, I've come to accept there are costs in doing transactions of the monetary sort. Hell, in some cases, wire transfers can costs up to $40 each for both the selling and receiving party and Western Union is no bargain either (and WU is more flaky IMHO). Snail mail with Money Orders are an absolute last resort, and they're usually sent certified mail with a signature/return receipt required - those costs add up. To myself, it's a necessary evil, just like other bank charges. To others, it's an evil they don't care or want to accept and for them, that's OK with me.

Here at Karmann Ghia Parts & Restoration/VWG/Airhead Parts, a fairly large amount of our sales are paid for via Paypal, at least for the past 4 years. We've yet to have a problem.

Like Wil and I'm sure others out there, perhaps I've just been lucky :-) Or perhaps I'm just paying a bit more attention than some others. It's a pain to live and do things "on the grid" and I'd love pursue my life "off the grid", but I'm finding it harder and harder to do these days.

As said before - to each his or her own. -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com **********************************