Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:21:37 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Propane Disposable Bottle Hookup
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

That is right, the propane you buy is a liquid, sold by the gallon. Inside the tank it slowly turns into a gas and that is what we burn. A gauge would have to have a float, like the gasoline tank has, that mechanically reads the level of the liquid inside the tank.

The stove might work on a small bottle without a regulator, never tried so I don't know for sure. The fridge won't work that way since it relies on a fairly precise mixture when the main burner is on. The stove has a knob you control so you may be able to compensate for the excess pressure with that. Myself, I would never hook up even the small can without a regulator since that is not how the kitchen equipment was designed.

I have camped many hundreds of nights using the Westy kitchen. A full propane tank is good for 2-3 weeks, running the fridge all that time and cooking most meals. With all the other costs that we typically incur while traveling or camping, filling the propane tank is a pretty small $. I too wish I had a way to know how much is left in the tank but filling it before every trip doesn't cost that much in the big scheme of things. We use a propane grill for BBQ a lot at home. I find that if I take the tank for that with me when I fill the Westy, the propane places add the total propane for both tanks and this keeps me from having to pay the usual minimum fee for just a tiny amount of propane if the Westy tank does not take very much by itself.

Mark