Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:12:50 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel ring and pinion changes with a 2.1L gas engine
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

Huh? What r&p were you going to put in? One can certainly bump up the ratio of 4th gear a bit with one from a 5 speed. I think that may be a .77. (not sure.) List member and friend Max Wellhouse has a higher ratio 4th in his not-quite-stock 2.1 and I think he likes it. Maybe Max will pipe up and say what ratio? This is one problem of putting in a TDI engine. While the WBX engine makes its peak HP around 5000 rpm, the TDI makes it around half that. So you get a Vanagon that cruises happily at 35mph and pulls like a bear to 45. There ARE r&p's out there suited to use with intercooled and chipped TDI's. They are made in Germany and sold in Germany. Ratios around 2.95 to 3.50, I think. The price was more than I paid for my good 91 Vanagon. I'd recommend you wait.!! Al Brase