Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:45:09 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: SA big brakes: caliper rebuild kit?? UPDATE!

The question seems to be 'can you upgrade to "big brakes" using the stock later-model calipers and just purchasing the larger rotors/pads (as opposed to the whole 'kit')?' Karl was saying the piston is the same size, but does that mean the entire caliper is suitable? Kim says they 'mount further out'- how is this done?

It follows that if you could indeed use the stock calipers, provided they were in good condition or at least good candidates for rebuilding, you could save a good bit of money over the 'kits' by just getting the rotors and pads (assuming you already had larger wheels)... Some clarification, please?

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kim Brennan" <kimbrennan@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:20 AM Subject: Re: SA big brakes: caliper rebuild kit?? UPDATE!