Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 2006 05:36:46 -0500
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Rear disc brakes. Blower Motor. Secret Compartments.
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com>

Okay NOW you got my attention! Putting disc brakes on the back makes a LOT of sense. This year I think I've done rear brakes on my two older sons' Westies AND my other two sons' cars (a Jetta III and a Golf III); all with their help of course ('cause you just know when their four year old brother is driving this old Dad ain't gonna be climbing under there for his health). And just yesterday I was checking out the rears on the 89 Westy and remembering all the blood, sweat and jeers of those jobs.

And as I crawled out of there I was thinking, "There's been a thread on the List 'bout bigger brakes; but what about rear discs? That might be doable." Not that I NEED to spend more money on this Motorized Tent; But I do think I'll be keeping one o' these Vans around for as long as I can. And just last year at EveryBus05 I scored a completely great set of late front brakes, calipers, rotors and all for free from a SyncroWesty-Subie-16" wheeler dude ( way cool van!).

Anyway, to get to the point. Anybody got anything/info up on the Net about doing rear discs with regular fronts as the donor? Only drawback is that I can envision parking brake problems. I guess I could leave it in gear and use a couple of tire chocks :) .

-- Stephen Chillicothe OH

PS. Yesterday, I had the Westy out of storage and into the garage to r/r the front blower motor from BD. It went in with ONLY 6 hours garage time. That includes the time it took for Son #4, home from college for the weekend, to show up at noon, take me to the local hardware (NO Big Boxes for me IICHI) to pick up some two part epoxy to hold the case back together because I forgot to order the clips when I ordered the motor. He also helped me cut out the secret under-the-you-know-where compartments, that were mentioned last week here on the List. Nothing else to do while waiting for the epoxy to set up. We used a pneumo cut off wheel and managed not to burn any of the interior. Coincidentally, last February, I did this same job (blower r/r AND seat box cutting) on my then 87 Westy. We've missed that space ever since passing it on to Son #2 last Spring. Defrosters are gudt too. That rear heater just won't clear the windshield!?

PPSS. Just heard on NPR that Buffey Saint Marie turns 65 today. For some of you that's not as relevant as hearing 'bout Buffey the Vampire Slayer but to us GrownUps it's news. I remember listening to "Every time I go to town, the fellas keep kicking my dog around."... on an 8Track, riding down a back road in a friend dad's Splittie just before there were Bays.

seeya. S.