Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:56:14 EST
From:         John Carpenter <Trvlr2001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Plastic Fantastic; Your coolant system's dissolving AKKK !!

Hi All, Well, I thought I was a smartie !!! A New Radiator & thermostat... All ready for summer right ??? Nope, not even close !!! My 90 was still up on ramps... ( I know, I just haven't gotten around to the Eagle two post lift yet ! :o) And, I saw a little drip on the hose coming out of the T-Piece. I call it a coolant manifold. P/N: I made the Big mistake of wriggling the spring clamp, Thinking it would re-seat the hose a little. Bout then a High Pressure Stream of Scalding Hot Water Shot up my arm, burning the pixx out of me & leaving me with scar tissue the size of a silver dollar !!! They do still make them, don't they...Rog' ??? ;o) The plastic nipple had fallen right off in my fingers !!! ( hate it when that happens !! ) Degraded... Dissolved... Crumbled Into Pieces. Well, I had a spare, replaced it... It leaked too, So I pulled it, and found that the sealant tip ( the little hump on the end ) of the large nipple had crumbled, where it attaches to the large, rubber coolant hose sleeve connector that hooks the long plastic, coolant pipe So, I bought a new one from BD ( took over a month to receive it, thanks BD :o) Just installed it, and after I figured out that it works best to attach that 5th hose :o) I was giving it the final once over.... and.... There was another little drip at the plastic T-connector for the rear heater. Thought to myself, man I hate those spring clamps. Gave it a little wriggle & once again the bugger burst, shooting hot coolant all over. Luckily the lord watches over dummies like me once in a while, And I wasn't burnt this time. Well, I missed the 365 million power ball, So He owed me that one ! :o) Folks, this is on a 90 ! One of the newer busses. Imagine an 85 !!?? If You've got Plastic in the Coolant System --- It Is Degrading, Dissolving and Crumbling as we Speak. I don't know if it's the Heat or UV that's doing it, but, Just as we Need to Replace Fuel Hoses, We need to Replace All Plastic in the Coolant System !!! Could mean an Expensive Engine Replacement If We Don't !!! . best o luck, John C... the bus came by & ...