Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:42:37 -0800
From:         Mike Frost <mafrost@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Plastic Fantastic; Your coolant system's dissolving AKKK !!

My coolant manifold developed an inch-long crack right in the center and away from any hoses. It may have been due to extremely low coolant level resulting in super-heated steam running around the pipes, but that incident started a domino effect that included a cracked head among other things. As I limped into the mechanics' driveway, he measured the temperature of the heads and suggested that they may have warped. I had him change out the coolant manifold and then he told me that the heads were leaking like a sieve. I couldn't afford new heads at the time, so I started my own troubleshooting. It turned out that one of the long nylon pipes that run up to the radiator also had an inch-long crack right at the end. Two minutes with a sawz-all and I was back on the road. Later I added some JB weld to seal the crack in the head, and I have put about 40,000 miles on it since! Note that the low coolant level LED on the water temp gauge NEVER came on and still hasn't even when I know there were several occasions when it should have...

On a related topic, I had the coolant system fully sealed just as winter started this year, so I decided it was time to switch from 100% water to the 50/50 mix of water and coolant. I thought this would be a great opportunity to flush the system, hopefully removing any crud that had built up. I used a chemical flush (don't have the brand at the moment but I think it was Prestone) and proceeded to fill the system with the coolant/water mixture. It quickly became apparent that flushing with a chemical is a BAD IDEA. There are now at least two or three points around the interface of heads to block that are leaking (where did I put that darn JB weld?). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Mike Frost '86 GL wasserleaker