Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:19:42 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      FS: 1982 Vanagon with Chebvy 2.8 V6 and non-Westy poptop $750

Hi Folks,

I went and checked this van out for a buddy of mine who was going to buy it. It is not mine so contact the seller directly.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/135657986.html

It is currently registered in Maryland but located in Oakland, California just across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco. I recommend you go to look it over during the daytime hours. The neighborhood it is located in is ok but not the greatest place to be wandering around at night. LOL -- I was there at near midnight with a very capable bodyguard.

The poptop is has some cracks on the inner liner and i was unable to test how well ti goes up. Seller says he has not popped it up in three years. IIRC this is the ASI poptop. Camper interior has been gutted in favor of a wood platform with storage underneath. Should be easy to convert back. Body is amazing good shape. I did not notice any body rot or seam rust. Then again it was midnight in East Oakland.

The install was done by as a father and son project. Used a KEP adapter with a rear crossmember cobbled out of pieces of iron & steel. I would recommend re-doing those if you are planning on keeping the rig together. The alternate pulley caused clearance problems at the rear of the engine lid so they simply trimmed the edge instead of altering the brackets. A large 7-8 inch tall box covered with automotive grade carpet covers the box. It's actually not bad looking once it's locked down. Exhaust is home made and surprisingly quiet in this odd-fire Chevy.

Oh yeah, it's titled as a diesel so would be easy to register in Maryland. For California buyers, it would be tougher as you need to have the vehicle verified by a peace officer or DMV employee. Unless the verifier is a very good and blind friend of yours, the will probably notice it is not a stock powerplant and start asking questions. If you are lucky, they will look over the badges and title which all say diesel, and you will be "In like Flint".

Transmission is from a WBX so gears are better suited for the V6.

Look like a good buy to me. I just don't have time for another project. Roof is not good enough for me to save. Needs some epoxy or fiberglass work. Comes with a bra. No damage under it -- I checked. There was some issue about the thermostat. I can't remember. I think the fan is manually activated by a switch.

Seller is a pretty cool dude. Goes by the name of Skye. Remember he is the seller and not me. Email him directly via his ad. If you want to ask me any more question about the van, I will try to answer as best as I can.

BenT