Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:58:04 -0500
From:         steve vitale <spam@NEWSIE.NET>
Subject:      rough idle, gas guzzling, oil dripping van

I've been learning as much as I can about my project van, an 86 vanagon GL with about 150k miles and decided that now is the time to go to the list.

first off the idling problem: When I first start up it idles real rough, blows out lots of soot and if I'm not right on it, it'll often stall. I can usually smell the unburnt gas in the exhaust. After it's warmed up it runs really nice as long as i'm at about 1500rpm or higher, if it gets below that (which it seems to do after about 30 seconds at a stop light) it'll idle rough, surge and usually stall if I don't put it in Neutral (where it seems to idle a bit higher and generally does fine.) The compression numbers are 120,120,140,140 ( left cylinders are both 120, right are both 140.) I'm also getting only about 10-14 miles to a gallon. I've replaced the O2 sensor the rough idle improved a bit but it's still pretty bad. When i checked the timing the rough idle made the timing mark jump back and forth a bit. I've seen the term "idle hunting".. which is exactly what it seems to be doing, so I'm wondering about fuel mixtures being right and some fauly 80's era electronic fuel injection component decomposing, wondering if i should do a full leak down test and lying awake at night with thoughts of just pulling the engine out taking the heads off especially because I have to deal with the second problem:

Leak around the oil pump: It hemmoraging oil right now around the oil pump. I'm putting in about a quart a week. I know it's an easy fix if you can get there but it seems to be a really difficult job to do with the engine in the car. I'm sure the pump isn't bad, it's probably just the oil pump cover gasket, but.... I appeal list for guidance. Thanks a bunch Steve