Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:48:29 -0800
From:         Barry Muller <ekab_muller@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Sticking throttle (long)

Hello All,

Yes I'm back after a 1/2-year hiatus. But enough chit-chat. About a month ago, my 1991 Carat started to add some excitement to my life by having the throttle stick at full open. Woo-hoo was that fun - thank goodness it only happened on limited access roads and in slow vehicle.

As the van has a slush box (don't all Carats?), I checked out the "multispring cluster" on the throttle-valve housing. Sure nuff, would stick at full open. The springs on the shaft that attaches to the throttle valve looks dry and rusty. Here is what I've done to limited or no joy:

1) lubed the bejeezes out of thes pring on the throttle-valve shaft (cannot find a ref name to this substantial-looking object in Bentley - of course).

2) Tried to take the throttle valve housing off the intake manifld to clean it thoroughly, inside and out. Failed to do this as the throttle valve housing appears to welded onto the manifold (But, then why are there two screws attaching it to the manifold, Bart? Hmmm maybe it is only siezed onto the manifold?). Anyrate, while I was there I tried to clean as much crud off of the spring on the throttle-valve shaft.

3) A friend suggested that I replace the throttle-return spring (goes to the back of the manifold to an attachemnt on the throttle-valve shaft. I did this, but this seems a "brut force" approach and I really think that the problem lies in some sort of maintenance on the throttle-valve gizmo.

So any thoughts or snarky comments on what I really need to do to solve this? Is it true the that the worn throttle return spring is the root of this evil. Will our friend ever be able to drive at "full throttle" without fearing for his life? (Dramatic 1950's B-movie music here). Stay tuned.

Thanks in advance,

Barry