Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:27:57 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Compression braking & Power Loss

> > John, would you please expand on that process a bit. As I have always > understood it, in gasoline engines, "compression braking" relied on > the compression stroke to provided resistance to slow down the vehicle. > Without fuel and ignition the engine just basically becomes a glorified > air compressor, and the compression resistence will act to slow down the > vehicle. Please enlighten us with more detail as to how "vacuum" plays > a part on "braking" with a gasoline engine. >

Well, there are four distinct strokes the piston makes: compression, power, exhaust, and intake. The compression stroke is kinda lik compressing a spring. It does take energy to compress that air, but most of that energy gets put right back into the system when the piston comes down, on what would normally be the power stroke, because that compressed air can't go anywhere and is still exerting pressure on the piston. Diesel trucks have a "Jake Brake", an electric solenoid that pops open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke to release the compressed air before it can push the piston back down. The exhaust stroke is just pushing the air into the open exhaust manifold, so there's negligible resistance there. On the intake stroke, though, the piston is trying to suck in air from the intake manifold. With your foot off the gas the throttle plate, that big butterfly valve in the middle, blocks off the source of intake air except for the small amount through the bypass. This means the intake stroke is pulling a pretty hard vacuum, which gives you your braking effect.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"