Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:38:00 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Compression braking & Power Loss
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

On a throttle controlled engine, it is the manifild vacuum that helps to slow a vehicle when the the throttle is closed. At speed, the engine compression stroke will quickly be cancelled out by the de-compression after the piston passes top dead center. When turning an engine by hand, you feel a compression effect but that is because the compressed air has leaked past the rings and now you are pulling a vacuum on the down stroke. Diesel engines do not have throttles. Therefore, thier is no braking effect by lifting your foot off the pedal. Most diesels emply some type of rearder such as an exhaust brake, or leaving exhaust valves closed, or even using hydrualics in the transmission to slow vehicles down hills.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> Date: Friday, February 24, 2006 6:27 am Subject: Re: Compression braking & Power Loss