Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:15:01 -0800
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are pop-up tops really necessary??
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

Mark, You make a good arguement for installing the table in the GL. I've never really looked at one in a Westy or other van....when folded up does it protrude much into the cabin? Where do you suppose a table might be found, and were any mods necessary other than bolting it to the side wall? Thanks, Anthony

'89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)

mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: Different people can have such widely differing standards of comfort that a question such as this is hard to answer without more info from the person asking it. My wife and I travel and camp a lot and we often use our passenger GL instead of our Westy. Which one we takes depends on the type of trip and how long we will be gone. The biggest advantage other than standing and storage while camped is the added ventilation the top provides. If you plan to cook much inside the van raising the top makes a big difference. If you plan to park in the sun while staying inside the van raising the top makes a big difference. If you will be spending many waking hours inside while parked, raising the top makes a big difference. If you just want to drive places and be able to sleep inside a top can even be a slight negative. The top makes it a little noisier inside while driving and colder at night even with the top down. You can stealth camp easier without a top but you still need full curtains and screens for the windows in warmer weather. We love our full Westy but for 2 or 3 days the passenger van is fine for us, even preferred sometimes.

We installed a front Westy table in our passenger van so we have a place to put food and drinks while we are in the back Just this small step helped a lot since the back is usually chaotic and it is too easy to spill things when you move around. Having the Westy table makes a big difference for not much effort. Having the front door screens is another huge improvement. Much more air than the tiny Westy screened windows let in. Add a rear hatch screen and you can be pretty comfy in warm weather.

Mark

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Mail Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.