Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:29:04 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: '86 GL electrical (sound system) question
Comments: To: Neal Barrentine <vwneal@BLUEMARBLE.NET>

I don't know if you could fit another relay into your existing relay holder as my Vanagons are '84 and '85 and don't have the same fuse panel as the newer ones.

I would certainly have to put a relay in my Westy to use the "key in ignition" feature to power my head unit as my stereo stuff is run from the aux battery.

You can mount the relay anywhere in the dash area out of sight.

Get a standard Bosch 4 or 5 pin relay (only need 4 pin). Pins 85 and 86 go to the relay's coil and are used to energize it. Pins 30 and 87 are where you run the power wires that you actually want switched.

I would suggest you disconnect the negative terminal from the battery before working with your van's wiring.

You could, for example, run a wire from the gray/black wire to pin 86 and ground pin 85. Then when you put the key in the ignition, the relay will energize and close the contacts between pins 30 and 87.

You could then run your "always on" 12 volt wire to pin 30 and run a wire from pin 87 to your "Switched power" wire on the head unit.

Of course, reconnect your battery and smoke test what you've done.

This is off the top of my head, but I think it will do what you're looking to do.

Mike

Neal Barrentine wrote: > The gray and black wire coming from the ignition switch is indeed the > "key in ignition" circuit wire. Thanks! Now, where do I get a relay > that will work for powering my head unit? I would like it to slide onto > my fuse box, and be all neat and pretty, like the way it is now. I am > not an electrical engineer by any means, so I'm not exactly sure what > relay will work. > Drive and enjoy your VW daily! > On Feb 24, 2006, at 12:12 AM, Mike Collum wrote: > >> Vanagons do have the "key in ignition" circuit. As I recall, it's a >> gray and black wire. If you're concerned that that little circuit >> wouldn't be hefty enough (I haven't checked it out for current >> capacity) you could always put a relay in there. Anyway, using that >> circuit you would have power to the head unit whenever the key is in >> the ignition ... without it having to be turned on. >> >> Mike > >