Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:41:55 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Stealth" mishaps: WAS Are pop-up tops really necessary??
Comments: To: Doug F <vanagon@astound.net>

RE: Westy in a 'tent' camp site. This particular mental disconnect occurs in a lot of campgrounds. I've been involved in long, polite discussions with park rangers in both Washington and Oregon on this subject and their hands are tied, in both states it's not just the rules or interpretations, it's actually the law. This subject comes up often when WetWesties plans a gathering. We would like to double up in the campsites but even though the posted campground rules say that a second car (as part of the same camping group) is allowed at one site they then say that the second vehicle can't have 'sleeping accommodations' in it, that's a second RV. The law is written to handle big RV's or auto/tent campers and forget that the Class B campers like our Westfalias and ASI's are out there. The rangers admit that the law doesn't make sense, sharing sites (or using a tent site to dry camp in a Westy) minimizes impact and maximizes usage (when the campground is filling up). We've even asked them "What about a covered pickup with the entire back end set up with stove, bed and porta pottie?" and that would be allowed!