Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:02:27 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Question for Canadian List Members

As some of you know, our order desk's toll-free number regrettably does not work from Canada (due to the exhorbitant surcharge MCI wants to levy if we make it otherwise). However, I've been looking at using VOIP (voice-over-internet-protocol) for some of our outbound dialing, and one Canadian-based provider says they can offer us a Toronto (area code 416) exchange at a very low cost. Basically I'd have to set up a stand-alone phone with its own phone line at the shop just for calls that came in on that number.

My question, to those living outside of Ontario, is whether this would be beneficial to people throughout Canada, or useful only to those living near Toronto. In other words, if you lived in, say, Quebec, would it cost you significantly less to dial a Toronto phone number than if you just called Pennsylvania directly? I just don't know how Canadian phone service is billed.

Given that VOIP quality through a second-tier provider may potentially be inconsistent/unreliable compared to standard landline service, it would seem silly to even bother doing this if it would only save Canadians a couple of cents a minute anyway (unless they happen to live near Quebec). But on the other hand, if it would represent a real benefit to Canadian list members, I might be able to make it happen.

No need to reply on-list; just email me directly.

Thanks for your feedback.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT