Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:51:57 -0800
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Alternative Fridge Ideas

Over the years all (3) of my Westy fridges have worked well. So why might I consider a change? Not sure. Lately I have seen AC/DC mini-fridges that advertise an average draw of .6 amps per hour (usually 2.5-ish amps when running, but they only run about 10 to 20 minutes per hour). and with the nice 65 amp Optima camping battery, a new fridge should be able to run several days on the battery (longer with a solar hook-up). These new fridges are AC/DC, and don't have propane hook-ups. Lack of a propane fridge is not an issue for us as we rarely stay in one spot for more than a few days, and even then, we drive a bit from place to place during the days that we return tohe same campsite (re-charges the battery). Most of the these new mini-fridges have a freezer compartment, and some come with no freezer. We feel that we do NOT need a freezer.

The major problem is to find a fridge that fits into the Westy's Dometic cabinet opening. Most of the new mini-fridges are much deeper than the Dometic fridge, so will stick out quite a bit, or one is limited to smaller fridges.

As I measure the Dometic fridge, the interior is: (HxWxD) 47x35x26cm for an interior capacity of about 43 liters. (less about 4.7 liters for cooling fins nets about 38 usable liters volume). The Westy cabinet opening for the Dometic is: (HxWxD) 67x43.5x37cm. the 37cm depth is the difficulty as few mini-fridges are this 'shallow'.

I found 4 different manufacturers of small AC/DC mini-fridges. Nearly all use the same Danfoss compressor, so the guts are the same.

www.isotherm.com www.novakool.com www.coolmatic.com www.norcool.com You can do your own research on these web pages.

Several of these manufactures have an 'intelligent' device that knows when the alternator is producing electricity and freezes a plate (in the fridge) and then coasts on amp use. These draw fewer amps on AVERAGE.

I really wanted to build my own fridge in the westy's fridge cabinet opening. http://www.isotherm.com/products/facts/builtInBox.htm but my (in all other respects 'dear') wife suggested that with my (lack of) cabinet building skills, the result might look a fridge made by Picasso. I hate it when she's right! Also the cost of the whole fridge seems to be the same as the cost of just the compressor & cooling unit. So I got out the tape measure and measured everything 8 times.

The only fridge (that I found) that comes close to fitting in the Westy fridge cabinet opening is the NovaCool R2300 at: (exterior HxWxD) 72.1x42.5x35.6 it fits depth and width, but is about 5 cm (2-ish") too tall. At 59 liters, it a bit bigger inside than the our Dometics (43 or 38 litres depending on how one measures). But my wife would like the Westy stove/sink raised a few inches anyway. OR one can use a smaller fridge that is not too deep. OR one can just let the fridge stick out a few inches.

Karl Mullendor used a small Norcool for his fridge replacement: http://www.members.shaw.ca/McTavishPAC/fridge/fridge.html Karl's 1.7 cubic foot fridge is 48 liters, slightly bigger than our Dometics and fits fairly flush with the westy cabinet.

So far, we are torn between the NovaCool R2300 that COULD fit in the existing cabinet (by raising the cabinet a few inches) OR buying the larger Isotherm fridge (85 liters twice the size of our Dometic) and putting it behind the passenger's front seat. We have, for years, had a storage box behind the passenger's front seat, so we're use to having that space occupied and we could use the Westy fridge cabinet space for shelved storage that was in the box (and shift Westy weight to the right side of the van).

So not sure what I'll do, and we'll do nothing for till later this summer. I just thought I'd put this research in the archives and maybe even Frank Condelli will read it!

If you have any constructive/alternative ideas, I'm all ears. Malcolm