Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:38:42 -0700
From:         John Brush <vanagonvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: (rear) cv joint
Comments: To: Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>

> Should I clean up and repack the other while I'm at it? (and replace > that boot as well). Am I correct in assuming taht doing both isn't much > harder than doing one?

Absolutely. Especially the "replace the other boot" part. Its not really all that difficult, having done my first set of axles and joints some time back. Got lots of help from great folks on the list, asked a lot of questions, read up on it, got the right tool for the socket heads, and went ahead and did the deed. When I did mine, I posted the NAPA part number for the socket head that I used, so the archives will have that info, about a year or so ago, if you need it.

Its not even as messy as some would lead you to think, but its not pretty :-) The hardest part that I found was dealing with the end of the axle that connects inside the cave, at the wheel. When you go to reinstall, get a long stud and thread it into one of the mount holes, and rotate it to the top. Then you can just hang the joint on the stud, and run in all the other bolts, remove the stud, insert the last bolt, and you are home.

Either get the van way up high, in a safe manner, or prepare to bend yourself into positions you had no idea you could pull off :-)

Lots of good help here.

Regards,

John