Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:23:05 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Overflow coolant Tank
Comments: To: Tim Kasher <sade75@EARTHLINK.NET>

Tim,

You didn't mention whether the engine was hot or cold. When cold the expansion tank should be full and there should be coolant up to the minimum line on the expansion tank. If not, add some up to the low level or minimum mark. As the engine heats, coolant will flow from the expansion tank through the cap to the overflow tank, making the level rise. As the engine cools, the coolant will be drawn back into the expansion tank. If the overflow tank is not kept supplied to the minimum mark, in time the expansion tank will begin to have air drawn in and the coolant level will fall in that exapnsion tank, denying the engine necessary coolant. It's crucial to keep that overflow tank up to minimum when cold in order to have the correct action in the cooling system.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GZL driver