Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:55:20 -0800
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake Problem maybe resolved?

This sounds like a case of air in the system. The brakes need to bled after any work that opens up the hydralic part of the system. Your mechanic was SORT OF right - eventually, the air will work its way back to the master cylinder and out of harms way, but if it starts at the rear wheel cylinders, it will be a while. And all the time you are working that air out, your brakes are not working correctly. A much safer (and the generally accepted) solution is to bleed each wheel cylinder once the work is done. There should not be air in the system, ever. To complete the job, he should have taken the extra 15 minutes to bleed the system, starting at the right rear, because its farthest away.

Oh and before you go out again, check your brake fliud level. It may be lower than is safe RIGHT NOW!

Tim Kasher <sade75@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: OK I posted just a bit ago about a brake issue (the main problem is that the pedal was going to the floor...even when pumping).....unfortunately I had a leaking right cylinder in the rear....so I had my mechanic change the 2 rear cylinders and shoes in both rear brakes.

Now the pedal still goes to the floor but when I pump it it does feel very good and pedal does not go to floor.

So how do I fix the pedal going to the floor with just regular brekaing (I cant obvioulsy pump it all the time) Should the mechanoc flushed all fluids and make sure no air was in the lines? He is a great mechanic but is was quitting time....I sat and watched the 3 hour job.

Maybe the front brakes are bad? Ideas?

Thanks so much I hope this isnt to confusing.

PS I test drove it when he was doen and said I still had the pedal to the floor problem and he said give it a few days.