Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:44:19 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake Problem may "NOT" be resolved?
Comments: To: Raceingcajun <raceingcajun47@BELLSOUTH.NET>

I vote with the Racingcajun! He is dead on the target.

One add. Go to the first guy, tell him what you think (per Racingcajun), tell him what you are going to do, then take it to the other guy just like you tell it.

A little aside, but similar. I took my Cessna 195 airplane to THE shop for a nose cone replacement. Had lots of oil leaking. You don't want oil leaks in and airplane. Bad fire hazard among other things. I asked specifically if they know how to do a hot valve timing check on my particular engine, an old 300 HP Jacobs radial. "Oh, yeah, sure, we work on radials. We know all about them" Well, they had the rep for being THE radial engine folks, so I left it. The long and short of it was, when they installed the new nose case, they got the cam out of time because they didn't know squat about the hot valve timing on a cold Jacobs engine. Irony was, it ran beautifully on the ground, when it didn't need to pull full power. But when I took off, it would not develop full power. I damn near flew the thing into trees at the end of the runway. Not enough power to climb fast enough to get safe altitude. I was PO'ed. I know exactly what was wrong. Get the cam out of time so the vales open late and close early - it will run nice - but no power. I went back there with blood in my eye. The gave me every run around in the book. They didn't want to go back into that engine. They would lose money on the labor plus shop supplies. I finally told them I was taking it to another guy, and the FAA would be notified. Well, the next guy did a hot valve timing check first thing, and sure enough, the cam was out of time. Since the first bunched had signed the machine of as airworthy - The FAA went over and shut them down for three months by pulling their repair station certificate, and then put them under sanction for 6 additional months during which and FAA inspector visited several hours a week, every "i" was dotted and every "t" was crossed, and every first piece of tissue on the toilet roll was folded back to a point once the paperwork was done.

Sometimes, you just got'ta take it to the mat.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver