Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:26:05 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake Problem maybe resolved?

Tim,

>Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:14:44 -0500 >From: Tim Kasher <sade75@EARTHLINK.NET> >Subject: Brake Problem maybe resolved? > >OK I posted just a bit ago about a brake issue (the main problem is that >the pedal was going to the floor...even when pumping).....unfortunately I >had a leaking right cylinder in the rear....so I had my mechanic change the >2 rear cylinders and shoes in both rear brakes. > >Now the pedal still goes to the floor but when I pump it it does feel very >good and pedal does not go to floor. > > When you say "pump it", do you mean more than once? *IF* it's a matter of not properly adjusting the rear brakes, the pedal *may* go to the floor on the first press, but should be high and firm on the second (as long as they are rapid presses - i.e. not allowing time in between for the shoes to return and pump the fluid back out of the wheel cylinders). If it takes multiple 'pumps', it's likely not just adjustment.

>So how do I fix the pedal going to the floor with just regular brekaing (I >cant obvioulsy pump it all the time) > You don't - unless you're into gambling with your life! Yes the rear brakes will self-adjust, but only on *backing up* and stopping. IF he assembled them correctly, and IF the self adjusters are working (i.e. the springs are good, the adjuster was cleaned and lubed, etc.).

>Should the mechanoc flushed all >fluids > Not necessarily. Good practice, but not necessarily *common* practice.

> and make sure no air was in the lines? > Absolutely! Too basic to even argue about. And not just the rears either. Since you were leaking fluid, any competent mechanic would assume the possibility of fluid getting low and air getting sucked in the master cylinder. He would automatically bleed all wheels to make sure. We're talking about 5 minutes here, seriously.

> He is a great mechanic but > > You need to adjust your definition of "great", and "mechanic"....seriously.

>is was quitting time....I sat and watched the 3 hour job. > > It's quitting time, and you're pretty sure that intermittent miss was cured, so OK you send the customer on his way, I can buy that. Not good business practice, but real world. You *NEVER* send a customer home with a vehicle that is unsafe. And that's where you are Tim, no question about it.

>Maybe the front brakes are bad? Ideas? > > Maybe...but that's not causing your problem. No matter how bad the fronts are, they are self adjusting in a rather foolproof way, and will not cause the pedal to go to the floor.

>Thanks so much I hope this isnt to confusing. > >PS I test drove it when he was doen and said I still had the pedal to the >floor problem and he said give it a few days. > > Tim, this is just sheer incompetence on his part. Plain and simple.

First off, check your fluid level. If it's low, add one more reason why your mechanic is incompetent. If it's OK, then that's one possible problem eliminated. If you have OK fluid level, there are a limited number of things that can cause your symptoms. They are:

1. Rear brakes out of ajustment - as stated previously, if you need to pump many times to get pedal, this is unlikely to be the cause, although it can be a contributor. IF, however, he put the rear brakes back on with the adjuster fully collapsed, then this could be the problem (although with new shoes, this is still unlikely). If this is the case, you should be able to tell by pumping until the brake pedal is high and hard (if not hard, but spongy, you have air) and holding it. It should remain high and firm as long as you keep pressure on it (if it creeps, see #3). Release for a half-second and press again quickly. Pedal should be hard, but a little lower. It should drop a little lower on each subsequent repetition (you allow a half second for the shoes to *partially* return, pumping out some of the fluid from the wheel cylinders).

2. Air in the lines. Bleeding is a *necessity* when changing wheel cylinders or calipers, and it sounds like your guy just blew it. Get a friend and bleed the system yourself to make sure - it'll only take 10 or 20 minutes. Use the following procedural steps - in the order listed: a. Check/Fill the fluid reservoir. b. Open the bleeder screw on the passenger side rear wheel cylinder. c. Press the pedal slowly all the way to the floor and *HOLD IT THERE*. Do NOT pump. d. When fluid quits flowing from the bleeder screw, close it securely. e. Release the brake pedal. f. Repeat a through e until you get a solid stream from the bleeder, with no air bubbles in it, then secure the bleeder tightly. g. Repeat a through f for the other rear wheel. h. Repeat a through f for the front wheels. If you have no air in the rears or the fronts, then you'll need to adjust the shoes to make sure that's not it. If you get air, and you can't get rid of it (i.e. continuously foamy fluid), it's likely the master cylinder, or seals between the fluid reservoir and the master cylinder.

3. Bad master cylinder. Harder to diagnose, with a wider range of possible symptoms (although IME yours is seldom one of them). Once the air is out of the system, and the rear shoes are adjusted correctly, if you have the same issue, the the master has to be the culprit.

All that said, you need to find another mechanic, 'cause this dude is gambling with your life here - no BS, no hyperbole, just fact. You don't always have time to pump brakes to avoid an accident, and a competent mechanic will just never let a customer leave in a death trap unless it's clearly their decision, and the mechanic has clearly (and in writing on the service order if they don't want to lose their ass) communicated that the vehicle is unsafe to drive. Bleed the thing yourself (95%+ probability that's the problem), then go back and tell your mechanic you fixed it, and how, and that you want a refund on the labor.

Keith Hughes