Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:45:54 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Where's the coolant relay on a diesel vanagon?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

Only the 83 and later diesels have the coolant level circuit. The "43" relay is well hidden in all 83-85 models, up under the dash, on the left side, above the level of the fuse box. The easiest way to SEE it is to pull the defroster vent from the top of the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. The "43" relay is in plain sight then. If your hands are small enough you can reach in through the new hole in the dash and pull the relay. I have to drop the fuse box and reach up from down there while looking down through the new hole.

If your flashing still occurred with the relay out, the problem is not the relay or any other part of the level circuit. It is quite common for the temp gauge itself to be the cause. There are some electronic components that control the flashing, inside the gauge that fail, causing intermittent or even constant flashing. One way to know that this is what it is causing it is to note carefully how the flashing starts.

Normally, when you turn on the key the flashing starts as a self test, then after the engine starts it goes out. If it begins again after at least several seconds later, the level circuit is likely at fault. If it never goes out when you start but continues from when the key was turned on, the fault is most likely in the gauge itself. Years ago here we covered all this in much greater detail and some listees actually took their temp gauges apart and replaced the failing capacitors. I'm afraid those days are behind us and the current owner base can't seem to follow 2 or 3 simple steps, much less the dozens needed for such a repair.

Mark