Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:51:15 -0500
From:         Wil Haslup <whaslup@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon shifter bound???

Dagbear@aol.com wrote: > I replaced all of the bushings on the shifter linkage in my 87 last > month. In order to get the best results you will need to replace all of > the following components: > > - The nylon bushings that hold the shifter lever at the floor. There > are two hemispheres at the floor that form the ball which the shift > lever passes through. There is a spring that goes between the > hemispheres. There are two units which form the socket into which the > assembled hemispheres fit. There is a rubber bushing that holds the > aforementioned units together. There are two nylon bushings that are at > the base of the shift lever where it connects to the shift rod that goes > to the back of the van.

I think my problem is in the front with the above. I'm opening the shifter today to see what's up but since I had a relatively short period of slop with sudden binding to the point of not being able to use it I'm thinking I've got one or two pieces that have failed/cracked/broken creating enough of a clearance issue that the rest won't work.

> - The rod that connects the shift lever to the transmission is made > up of two rods connected with a nylon universal joint near the middle. > There are two bushings through which the rod passes that will need to be > replaced. These help to maintain correct alignment of the shift rod. At > the back of the shift rod is a lever which serves a socket for the ball > attached to the shift arm on the side of the transmission. This is held > onto the shift rod by a pin. this shift lever will need to be replaced > so that a good fit exists with the ball on the side of the > transmission. The ball is also replaceable. There should also be two > rubber boots to replace at the transmission end of the assembly. One > covers the shift lever/ball joint connection at the transmission and > the other covers the shift arm that emerges from the side of the > transmission.

I looked at the back first and all seems in order other than the boots on the rod being shredded and a tiny amount of seepage from where the rod goes into the tranny.

> You can order the parts for the rear assembly from the Bus Depot or > other vendors but make sure to order the parts for the front assembly > also as these are not included in the kit. I ordered the parts for the > front from the local VW dealer and got the kit for the rear from the Bus > Depot. I had some trouble getting the right parts for the front from > them because they had to special order them. I am sure that since they > went through the experience with me, they will know just what you need. > > Let me know if you have any questions.

Bus Depot lists:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251711200

for $99.95

without a picture so it's tough to tell what that includes.

Vanagain.com lists:

Shifter Rebuild Kit for 80-91 Manual Vanagon (syncro too!) This kit is for rebuilding your shifter in a manual Vanagon. It includes: 1- 171 711 227A- $3.37 1- 171 711 279- $10.65 2- 823 711 255- $4.48 each ($8.96) 1- 251 711 645- $10.62 1- 823 711 643 A- $6.15 1- 823 711 199- $.92

which looks like much/all of the front parts? but I don't know their numbers...

for $40.67

The difference in prices makes me wonder about the difference in what's included.

If I end up finding one or two pieces has failed I'd rather not rebuild the whole thing...front to back since I was planning on letting go of this '80 come summer (probably to someone in need of parts) in favor of a friend's '91.

Just need to keep going a little while longer....

; )

--

Wil

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams