Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:13:00 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: AT Problem

I just went through this valve body voodoo as per Sisler. I had slippage and poor or no shifting when the van was cool, and it would go away and run fairly normally when hot- until the day I lost all forward gears altogether. I pulled the valve body and cleaned it. That in itself is not that big of a deal, but you have to be sure to be thorough, methodical and to have a very clean workplace where you can hopefully work undisturbed. In my case, it didn't help my problem, but it had to be done anyway so it was worth a try. My main pressure valve and throttle pressure valves were completely jammed- I had to gently coerce them free. There was plenty of crap on, in and around the mechanism. I had already reconciled myself to a rebuild and what I found just confirmed my fears- not to mention the fact that it didn't work. :) BTW, there is a fluid filter in the auto tranny- goes right on the bottom of the valve body, you can't miss it.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Evan Mac Donald" <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:27 PM Subject: Re: AT Problem