Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:48:15 -0500
From:         Bob Mac <BOBMACDOWELL@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      electrical problem

I just installed an optima battery in my westy. I didn't put it behind the seat. Instead i put it in the little cab. next to the water tank. I didn't want to take up al the space in the cab. so i removed the partition where the receptacle is and made a raised platform (about 3/4 of an in.) so the wires go under the battery. You have to cut the partition because the battery sticks into the little cab about 3 in. This is min. space to lose. Anyway when i got the partition out i noticed that off of the back of the rec. box is a large green wire about a # 8 wire. This is the main ground that grounds the receptacle to the vehicles. I t has a house panel lug that is bolted to the floor of the van. This lug was deteriorated to the point that is was no longer attached to the van. It looked like galvanic reaction ate it away. For you guys that use that rec. for your heaters and what-not it might be worth a look to see if your grounded or not. Just thought i'd throw this out there