Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:33:18 -0500
From:         Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Getting Discouraged
Comments: To: Mark Baker <mr_dogpants@YAHOO.COM>

Mark, I'm not sure what the stereo would be doing here, but I guess you might as well disconnect it to rule it out. Then, (assuming you have another car you can drive), take that battery to a FLAPS and get it tested. If that checks out, I would test the voltage at the starter during cranking... you're hoping for >11 volts here I think. If voltage is bad, you have some sort of wiring problem, and maybe just need to clean up your grounds (check: battery ground, transmission ground, engine compartment ground---clean or replace them). Or it could be your ignition switch if voltage is low.

If you do have good voltage at the starter when cranking, it may well be the starter. Pull it out and get it tested at an Autozone, Advanced Auto. While its out, you may as well change the starter bushing (if its a manual). If your going to do that, use a 12mm tap to remove the old bushing and it'll be easy.

I feel your pain, as I just had bad starter woes a few weeks ago. (You can read the posts for other things I tried). In my case, the problem was the starter and its replacement (yes, every so often, bosch sends out a bad starter). The list was very helpful in working through my problems. In my case, Ken at Vanagain was uberhelpful as well: not only does he consistently send out parts the day that I order them (so that I can try them in my Van the next day, since I'm within one day ups ground range), he worked me through the possible problems I could be having, focusing first on the ones which were easy/cheap to test. When the problem was isolated to the starter, he sent out a replacement before getting my other one back, so that I wouldn't have to wait.

You'll get the Van back on its feet in no time, I think, and still be impressed with how relatively easy it is to perform maintenance on it. The availability of inexpensive parts for these vans (from people willing to talk to you about them, no less) makes ownership a much more pleasant experience! -Wes

Mark Baker wrote: > So I thought that I finally got my '87 Vanagon GL on the road last night. > > Spent the Winter changing belts, oil, plugs/points/cap, some leaky hoses. Got it out of the garage on Saturday under its own power. Fixed the last leaky hose I could find Sunday, tried to start it, dead battery. Went to Wallyworld, got a new battery, popped right over, good to go. Re-installed the aftermarket stereo the PO had taken out, running wires directly from the battery. > > Put the car insurance in effect yesterday, cleaned all the random camping and repair-related stuff that had accumulated over the winter out of the van and prepared to drive happily off into the sunset, all the hard work of the past few weeks being rewarded by the joy of actively Vanagonning! > > Turned the key, nothing but a faint whir. The battery seems to be okay, as it didn't draw much from my charger and all the accessories/lights seem to be working properly. So, what? Starter? Solenoid? Bad karma? Stereo connections? I'm at a loss, and getting pretty disgustipated by the whole deal. Ugh. Anybody have a suggestion on what to do next? I mean, besides selling the dang thing--I've already considered that option! > > Mark Baker > '87 GL owner, but not driver > > > --------------------------------- > Yahoo! Mail > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze. > >