Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:50:57 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Fwd: [Vanagon-Westfalia] Considering an Engine Swap?

A number of people have wanted to hear of the experiences of users of the GoWesty engines. Here is one from another list.

It was on the Vanagon Westfalia list and the sender is honemastert <honemastert@yahoo.com>

Sam

I've got a GoWesty 2.4L wbx'er in my 90 syncro. Runs 15" rims with Michelin LTX/MS's just fine with stock gearing, climbs like a mofo in the granny gear (just idles up stuff)

They've engineered a 2.5l now as well, that does even better, and with gearing mods pushes taller 16" tire/wheel sets with ease

GW was one of the few rebuilders I could find that offered a 4 year or 48K mile warranty on the engine (provided you dont do something stupid like run out of coolant and keep driving it) and keep oil changed at regular intervals.

A satisfied customer, that still has essentially a 'stock' vanagon that any VW mechanic worth his salt can work on smogs and runs just fine.

Fully loaded, coming back home from Yosemite last fall.. cruising through Bakersfield got nailed for 85+mph in a 65mph zone. Wanted to take a digital photo with the issuing CHP officer, but the wife was not amused ;-) The cop, cut me some slack and wrote it for 80Mph, he said that his gun must have been off.. no way a VW camper bus could be moving that fast!

change the coolant regularly.. pay attention and the wbx'er will go a long time, personally? doesn't deserve the bad rap that everyone gives it, and keeps your volkswagen a 'volkswagen'

(I'm an old aircooled guy.. with last name of Schneider.. I just cant put a japaneese engine in my German automobile)

Then again, engine swaps and mods are also cool if you're so inclined so go for it!

cheers!

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.