Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:54:16 -0800
From:         Doug F <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC: Unimog
Comments: To: rpc <populuxe59@YAHOO.COM>

Very interesting item. This dude CUSTOM built this rig. Gotta give him credit for the amount of effort that went into that rig! From his E-bay feed back it looks like he may be European himself? He certainly put in a HUGE amount of work even though its a bit on the "rough" side, the work and hours for a "home built" dude to pull this off is amazing.

I have done enough work on my syncro GL to westy conversion to know how much time one can spend on what almost amounts to NOTHING in the van.

Custom building a "building" on the back of this truck is up there in the amount of work department. Even though the rig looks a bit awkward I have a high degree of respect for what he was trying to accomplish. He definitely over built much of it.

His descriptions of "layers of silicone, followed by 2 layers of latex caulk, followed by 2 layers of rubber sealant in each seam, kind of crack me up. And 800 bolts! Gawd!

He looks like he did it on a "budget" as well

Get er done!

The military green paint looks pretty hot in the hot sun I might have gone with white perhaps.

Use of space seems a bit wasteful as well, I didn't see any cooking space for rainy days etc.

Makes a "westy" seem pretty high tech by comparison.

The mileage of 13-15 mpg is right up there with my 87 syncro however.

He claims the truck itself is a $50K new item minus the motor home rig he put on the back. I wonder what it will go for? Only 20K miles but looks a bit "used" bald rear dualies, jack just kind of tossed on the bumper makes you wonder if proper maintenance was always done.

If I had it I would strip it clean and start over with just the "box" and all new maint done. you might actually have a nice rig if you could buy it for $3500

Doug

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "rpc" <populuxe59@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 7:17 AM Subject: Re: NVC: Unimog