Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:16:42 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro de Mayo Este 2006  ??
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>

The nice thing about the George Washington National Forest (Dry River district) is that it has official blessing for 4 wheel drive vehicles on several trails. In my investigation of the Monagehela National Forest, I've not found the same blessing. And in fact, I've found explicit denials of 4 wheel drive roads. There are still a couple of roads attendees of the east coast Syncro de Mayo have not been on. Specifically, the road up from the lake (near where we camped last year) up to Meadow Knob (which was were I intended to camp. Nothing technical in nature, though.

Additionally, there is still 2nd Mountain Trail. Similar to Dictum Ridge that we (mostly) did last year, it has a mud pit near its further end. While that doesn't interest me, I know Brady likes to splash it up.

Both Dictum Ridge and 2nd Mountain Trail are official 4WD trails. It may be different up north, but in WV/Virginia, if you start traveling off official trails you are likely to be greeted with a shotgun. And while that may give you a rush of adrenaline, it is not something I want to experience.

There is something to be said about exploring new areas, but every year of the east coast event has managed to see someone break something. That's a habit I'd really like to stop. As impressive as it is that Derek has repair parts in his carrier for just about every conceivable emergency, I'd much rather us not have to make use of them.