Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:27:02 -0800
From:         Doug F <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power loss with 15" wheels?
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>

Running the SA 15" wheels with 215/75/15s on my 87 syncro with a stock 2.1L wbx have shown me that it has definitely hurt gas mileage and power.

The stock gearing with 14s allow you to run the engine at the proper RPM for the wind load in 4th gear.

The stock water boxer develops certain amounts of torque at specific RPMs, VW matched it pretty well to the wind loads at 60-75 to where you feel like you have pretty good performance for the little power you have.

When you up the gearing the engine is no longer matched to the relative wind load and you have to push down on the throttle more to maintain the same speed. I can tell I am burning more fuel to go the same speed. Even travelling at higher speeds or RPMs I feel the loads are no longer matched and the engine is no longer running in it's optimum efficiency.

Need to lower the R&P or perhaps add more torque (suby)

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Egeln" <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 1:24 PM Subject: Re: Power loss with 15" wheels?