Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 2006 20:47:44 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Knock & Ping?
Comments: To: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>

If you can hear a WB knocking, you have a serious problem. This engine is designed to be knocking and ping resistant so it can remain floored and revved for extended periods without meltdown. That is why the HP to displacement ratio is so poor. First thing to check is the ignition timing. That is the most likely cause. Next, make sure coolant is flowing through all the hoses. The hose connections at the ring around the engine compartment will sometimes get clogged. Then you can have hot spots in the heads. This is common especially with the plastic loop. Make sure those small hoses get hot shortly after start up. If one stays cold, coolant is flowing. Next check would be spark plug type, then the fuel injectors or possible vacuum leak. Maybe you have a lean cylinder. Last possibility is maybe you have piston slap.

Dennis