Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:37:39 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Burnt Vanagon of the Week

The early metal engine cover is very little real protection, if any. I have seen plenty of early vans burn so bad that the steering wheel melts, metal engine lid be damned. On Syncros, the fuel tank is right above the tranny and the tank is made of PLASTIC. Long before the fiberglass engine lid burns through, the top of the fuel tank melts and feeds the fire in an unstoppable way. If the tank was completely full it would not melt through but since there is always a little air space inside at the top, the heat trapped by the engine lid does it's damage and the Syncro is history. Kid yourself all you want about metal or insulation to limit the damage done to the interior, the only way to save your Vanagon from fire is to PREVENT the fire in the first place.

Mark