Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:19:41 -0800
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power loss with 15" wheels?
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

This is born out by the way the 15 inch wheels "fixed" my speedometer. With the 14" wheels my speedometer always read 5 mph higher than my actual speed. With the 15" wheels the speedo is dead on accurate. Anthony

mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: The difficult thing for some people to grasp is the effect if you change all 4 wheels to the same larger size. The rpms will be lower at the same road speed but that means TRUE road speed. NOT what the speedometer says. If you change from 14" wheels of the same tire size to 15" wheels all 4 of the same size, the speedo will still read the same speed at 4000 rpm as it did before but you will actually be traveling faster than before.

This can also add to the perception of power loss since going from 0-60 on the speedometer is now actually going from 0-64 in "real" speed. Naturally it takes longer to go from 0-64 than 0-60 but the instruments are still reading the same as far as the driver can see so he thinks it is slower than before by more than it really is. In reality the van is going 4 mph faster than it used to when the speedo reads 60.

My words above refer to the 7% tire size increase with the 15" tires that I use.

Mark

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Mail Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.