Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:43:49 EST
From:         Rob Infante <RobInfante@AOL.COM>
Subject:      vermont in winter

I spent the past two weekends ice diving in vermont, and sleeping in the syncro westy afterwards. It was brilliant! I loved not worrying about a hotel, and the 4wd worked great on the snowy slippery hill we parked on next to the water, especially last Saturday when it snowed 4" or so. I had my -25F down bag with me, even with the temps below zero every night I was toasty as can be.

Given that degree of cold, would a propane heater really do much to heat things up? I usually would just sit in the sleeping bag and stow all the curtains, then out for diving. It would have been nice to crank up the heat before getting up, but if it was going to take more than 5 or 10 minutes to warm the bus it would have been wasted.

Another question I have is about driving in high winds. The second weekend was better than the first, as I had another person and their gear with me, but I was still being buffeted all over the place. I had thought about putting 15" or 16" tires on, but would that make it even more unstable? Its pretty unpleasant. Would more power have any effect? I was watching a dodge sprint package truck sail along while I felt the rooster on top of a barn, and wondering why he could be so stable, narrow and taller as he is. Any ideas?

regards rob infante '87 syncro westy boonton nj

btw, last month I had written about my hesitation issues, and the general recommendation was to change the O2 sensor. I did to no effect, and finally had my mechanic sort it out. He found the catalytic converter clogged solid, and changed it out. It has never driven so well in the 10 months I've had it, it goes up the steepest hills doing 50 and has great takeoff and acceleration.