Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:43:48 -0500
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Noisy Lifter Solution, nothing great, just FYI
Comments: To: vanagonvw@gmail.com

Yours may be too far gone, but marvel mystery oil stopped my lifers from chattering in my '80 air cooled overnight.

Chris

On 3/3/06, John Brush <vanagonvw@gmail.com> wrote: > This is just a followup on an observation that might help someone searching > the archives one day.... Nothing spectacular or controversial, even is if it > is friday :-) > > My aircooled 81 has been suffering the noisy lifter syndrome for a number of > years, getting worse over time. I don't drive it much, but for trips once a > month or so, and for years, it was in the garage, and if I went more than a > few days without starting it, oh my, the racket was unbearable. Sometimes it > would go away in a few minutes, and sometimes it would take half an hour to > shut the heck up. > > Reinforced by the good folks on the list, and understanding that its not > really a catastrophic problem, I lived with it. When the garage space was > needed for another car, the van went outside, alongside the garage where it > sits with a slight list to port, and a bit nose up, rather than totally > level. Not a lot, but noticeable. I found that the noise incidents were less > frequent, and but for a few times since last summer, it has started up and > gone quiet very quickly, if noisy at all. Today was "get it out and drive it > day" for the first time since December, and I dreaded starting it. When it > sits that long, I disconnect the fuel pump relay and crank it a bit, and > when I fired it up, it was like it was a new engine. No clatter at all. > > So, two things: I am quite certain my failing lifters are on the driver's > side, :-) and it would seem that parking it on that angle seems to pretty > much 'eliminate/mask' the problem. Folks parking in a level garage or > driveway > who have the noisy lifters, may want to consider using some 1X6's or > something to create the appropriate angles and see if it 'solves' the > problem during startup. > > Its not overly scientific, as I don't see why it would help over a long > amount of time, but it sure does. That said, who knows what tomorrow will > bring <g> but I prefer this over replacing the lifters, and thought I would > pass it on. > > John >