Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:47:57 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Racks
Comments: To: Clint Kolda <clint_kolda@YAHOO.COM>

No, it mounts to the frame with plate steel arms that extend in much farther then the stock bumper brackets do, and uses three bolts per side. It is far superior to anything that I have seen shy of a complete bumper w/hitch assembly. Installation is easy, just remove your bumper, slide the hitch into place and install six bolts. Leave the bolts loose until all of them are properly started. A second pair of hands would help here but I did mine solo with no trouble. On vans with chrome bumpers it does require notching the lower edge of the bumper on both sides, not sure about the fiberglass bumpers. I might still have his installation instructions saved in a file, I will look for them and forward if I find them. If I had not purchased a hitch from Dennis I probably would have built my own and it would have been very similar in design, as it is the most logical mounting system and definitely strong enough.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Clint Kolda <clint_kolda@YAHOO.COM> Date: Saturday, March 4, 2006 6:04 pm Subject: Re: Racks To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM