Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:33:08 -0600
From:         Raceingcajun <raceingcajun47@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: permanent fuel pressure gauge
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

Let me start by saying I'm not trying to get on a soapbox, or a high-horse, etc! Forgive my dumb question, but let me see if I got this right? You have a rubber hose under full working fuel pressure (maybe 30 lb's right), running full length of your bus, including run to the interior? Also in this mix is an $12.00 aftermarket gauge. And now you purpose to do the same thing on an Audi CIS system, running full working pressure of 75 lb's to 85 lb's. CAN YOU SAY BOOM! With that much pressure, a running pump, an accumulator. If the hose came off, or was cut in an accident, or the hose burst at the gauge, or the $12.00 gauge failed. You might get as much as a gallon of fuel in your lap before the pressure relived itself, if the pump wasn't still running. But you have no spark to ignite the fuel you say. A brush type motor makes sparks while running. Wipers, Blower motor, turn signal flasher, etc. (key word there being FLASHER) Anyway I'm not trying to insult you, and sorry for the rant, but I think this is foolish!

I thought this topic started out as an electric sending unit type gauge, with no hose's involved idea? That wouldn't be too bad hooked up right. But 20 ft of rubber hose. No way, I don't care how careful you are, or how high a quality hose you use. NO WAY! This whole idea of a dash mounted diaphragm antilog fuel gauge, to monitor pressure for some future fuel system problem is foolish, period! Wait till you have a problem and then run a under-hood temporary gauge, hooked right up to diagnosis it, being very careful then at that! Come on guy's THINK!

LET THE FLAME WARS START!

Howard

Two wrongs don't make a right, But three lefts do.

> I've done just as you've described a year ago with the additional step of > taking my oil temp gauge and adding water temp to it.

Bought a generic > VDO water temp sender at Napa of all places for like $12 the test equipment is spozed to hok up. Fins a safe place