Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:49:45 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: when making a left turn,
              parking brake light comes on???  ideas?
Comments: cc: Keith Walker <vze3sngp@verizon.net>

Yes, the wiring at the parking brake lever as well as the flimsy switch there are the more likely cause. It is just a single "ground" wire, grounded to the chassis through the switch. The switch is just a cheesy thing identical to the front door interior light switchs in the door frame. If the flimsy switch is bent, just leaning your hand on one side or the other of the parking brake handle may make the light flash on/off

The fluid level circuit and wiring is part of the dash wiring harness and switching instrument clusters does not affect it. You can tell if your vehicle has the brake fluid level sensor quite easily. In the top side of the fluid reservoir cap is a 2 pin connector and 2 wires plug in there. The level float switch is part of the newer type cap. There is a round plastic float/rod sticking down into the fluid from the newer caps When there is enough fluid, the float pushes up and opens a switch inside the cap. The older cap is just a plain cap, nothing sticking down and no connector out the top.

The parts data shows Canadian models changing over to the newer circuit at the same time as US models, 1985 model year.

Mark