Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:56:34 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Tool Box - What be in it?
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>

Joel Walker wrote:

> I have had my 2nd Vanagon (silver 88 Wolfsburg) since January and was > thinking I should start assembling a list of tools I should have to > handle > basic maintenance and road emergencies, so what are your suggestions? > > Please Note* : I do not plan on doing any complex engine repairs, I > will > leave that to the prošs. > > the absolute best list is found in How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive > (A Guide for the Compleat Idiot) by John Muir. > yes, it's about aircooled beetles and buses. but a LOT of stuff is > still the same. and it does speak of the fuel injection in there. > anyway, he has the tools arranged in Phases .... Phase I is what > you'll need when you first buy the bus. changing oil and tires and > such. Phase II is what you'll need when you want to do a bit more, > like replace shock absorbers and fix door locks. Phase III is when you > want to work on the engine, like valve settings and replacing mufflers > and so on. > > anyway, each phase is designed to fit a new accumulation of knowledge > ...as you learn how to do more, you need more advanced tools. > > a good book to read, even if you don't have an aircooled bus. :) > > unca joel > > "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive", a Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot - by John Muir

I've got two of those books, in good condition, paperback, spiral bound, revised printing 1974 - Price $6.50, and revised printing 1979 Price $.9.00.

And no, I won't sell either of them.

They are among my prized few VW related collectibles. I bought the first one to help me through pulling the engine and repairing the clutch on my first Volkswagen, a 1963 Beetle, which had been a wedding gift from my mother. . Don't remember when I got the second book - oh, yeah, had a '68 loaf and a '78 camper once, a 67 and 69 sun roof beetle, and a '72 Super Beetle Got the second book somewhere during all that ownership stuff. Now I have two 1988 Vanagon GL's.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver x2